"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bad Side of Elena

I've alluded to some sticky situations when I was growing up
During the hours reserved for things that go bump in the night
Well, it wasn't quite invisible spirits causing havoc
More like someone 'consuming-too-many-spirits-in-a-bottle' like tequila

So those wee hours saw quite a bit of flying dishes, glasses, furniture
I swore never to cause that type of damage
As a result of anger or hatred

During marriage #1, in a fit of rage
I threw something across the room
that ended up crashing into a display of delicate crystal gifts I had received
A thousand pieces reminded me of the promise I'd made to myself
I kept many of those broken pieces on top of the tv
To remind me of my shameful behavior

I never did throw anything in anger again
Not saying I haven't been tempted
but the problem is that when I become that angry
I struggle with a way to vent the anger
that threatens to boil over
and I find that keeping it inside causes some physical issues

I'm having a problem with the owner of the condo beneath mine
Due to some structural problems and occasional leaks during rainstorms
So I received a very nasty email that immediately made me furious
It's not like I chose to be angry
But I have a little problem with being verbally, or physically, attacked
I attack back
And as I reached for the phone I thought twice
Instead choosing to send an email that took many redrafts
To make sure it didn't say what I was thinking
I figured if we go to court and I need to read my email out loud
I want to make sure I seem like the bigger person

All the while I kept thinking
Thank God I'm not anywhere near him
And changing that to dammit, Elena, you're supposed to be more spiritual now
You're better than this
Reminding myself I'm only human
And that *#@*$!%# like this thrive on intimidation
or whining
to get their way
And I'm tired of it
I figured God would forgive me
but I'm not standing by letting idiots take advantage of others anymore
And I'll start with myself

I told him to grow up and back off
I told him I'm sending a building inspector and not taking bandaid approaches
or giving in to his demands
and then sent the big dogs after him
Ok ok not really 'the dogs'
Just the BIG dog
I had hubby call him
But I was still bothered that I let him make me so angry
I felt like those thermometers you put into a turkey to see if it's done
I wasn't sure what to do
So I meditated
Felt better
I'm only human

But there go my dreams of being a wise spiritual woman
living in the southwest with long braids
wearing long skirt and cowboy boots
sitting on the porch under the stars
and sharing my wisdom

Blimey

Maybe I can be an advocate for the underdog!
Yeah!

8 comments:

  1. Try counting to 20, not 10. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rome wasn't built in a day. You'll be the guru on the mountaintop eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post resonates with my last! How to take someone's negativity without turning negative myself! Someone flips me the bird on the road, first I'm hurt, then I'm stewing, then I'm cursing them. Working on keeping positive. Hard sometimes in a world with so much negativity. If only everyone could be perfect like us! hee hee (wink *wink)
    Glad the meditation worked. Glad you're feeling better. Proud of you for taking the high road. Still woulda loved you had you found yourself on the low road. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't let your dreams go.....we all have our moments of anger and frustration and we didn't, they'd call us a "wall flower"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elena, anger doesn't just go away because we meditate... as you said, you are human... human beings get angry. Choosing to behave in a skillful way rather than flying of the handle (on the outside) and your awareness of how this disturbed your equanimity (on the inside) seems like a pretty clear, wise and spiritual approach to me. You are handling this very well, give yourself some credit... you are blossoming one petal at a time, and doing so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, you are a hell of a lot better off then those people who would not haven even thought twice about bringing that kind of drama into their life ! Love that feisty Elena - she is the catalyst to all of your change !
    Hey, I read this today :
    http://www.susanpiver.com/wordpress/2011/03/17/sadness/
    It was about sadness but kind of about anger too. It helped me feel good about my compassionate heart in lots of ways.
    You go girl !
    Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I captured the part about let it begin with me..best place to start...then ask yourself what is it that your really fearing...and see what happens...May experience usually about 98% of the time comes from fear and I put the mask on of angry, guilt, saddness and start pointing the finger of blame...but like I said that's my experience lately...I have to meditate on the reason I'm afraid and then turn to my faith for guidance.
    be gentle, be kind and be in peace....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well being on a spiritual journey doesn't mean u are not human anymore, and emotions are a part of being human, yes the fact that instead of giving in to the impulse that anger pushes u into, u resist means u are walking your road and learning from it. Keep up Elena :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!