"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Eve at Home

Although my parents were born in Mexico, we don't practice many Mexican traditions. I never heard of Cinco de Mayo celebrations until I was in college; same for Day of the Dead and Three Kings on Jan 6. But there are a few things that I can always count on. There's always Mexican food at home, there are always Mexican remedies, always tamales on Christmas Eve and bunuelos (elephant ears) with Mexican hot chocolate on New Year's Day.

And so we gathered together around the table for the day long tamales preparation. The four women of the family. Constant as the bowl that holds the masa (cornmeal) and the pot that steams the tamales. Around us the family expands and contracts with births, deaths, divorces and marriages. But in our little circle, we may be older, perhaps a bit more wrinkled, but the love and laughs we share are familiar. Often joined by nieces who are getting old enough to learn this tradition. It's not just about the meal, it's the time we spend together.

Our queen bee sorting through corn husks



Spreading cornmeal onto the corn husks
As we laugh and talk, talk, talk



Filling with meat and hot sauce
See them all lined up waiting for their turn on the stove



And then we eat...
And keep spreading, and filling, and cooking
...and eating



The four
The queen bee decided to make us matching aprons this year
I'm the one with the chunky cheeks in the red sweater
My familia



Merry Christmas

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and loving post! You and your family are gorgeous women!

    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a grand tradition to carry on! Joyous new aprons with matching smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beautiful mom has a face filled with character and wisdom!! And she made those aprons?!??! I love them!!! And I don't see any "chunky cheeks"!!!! Anyway, a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, looks like a great time and a great meal.
    Feliz Navidad a su familia

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely family you have. And how gorgeous are you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! Adorable aprons and adorable cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love tamales and especially those prepared in a community of love. What a wonderful tradition. You guys are too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!