But with the new year always comes a sense of new beginnings. A fresh start of sorts. Then I ran across an idea on Christine Kane's blog that sounded simple enough. Instead of the typical resolution of say, "getting organized", she recommends sitting with the idea for a moment and perhaps realize that you have trouble letting go and your word becomes Release. By keeping this one word in mind throughout the year you may see its effect on other parts of your life; perhaps bad habits, relationships, attitudes. It brings an awareness, a fresh perspective of sorts.
I tried it that first year but I didn't really commit to it. Sure I posted the word on my speakerphone in the office. It helped for a while then eventually got buried under piles of floorplans and contracts. Seems I released Release. I wasn't ready to let go of my ways; I was operating at a shallow level. I'm just now scratching through that tough outer shell to my true psyche.
I think I'm ready now to give it a try. And before I even thought of what word I would choose, 'trust' came to mind. I thought no no give it some thought. What kind of word is 'trust' anyway. Shouldn't it be more grand? And as I tried, 'trust' kept insisting. It gave me examples and I realized that yeah, this could be the word. I have trust issues; I don't trust anyone; I don't trust myself. Whew, what a start!
So that will be my word for 2010. I will make an effort to stick to this; it is my gift to myself. I can see the possibilities of this one.
Anyone want to join me?
I walked outside
Under the watchful eyes of the birds and trees
I committed my word
I asked God, the Great Spirit, and His angels for support
And I've committed it here
Can't wait to see what my clan thinks when they're walking through the yard and find this word
I'll deny doing it of course
Hee Hee

Did you leave footprints? That's a powerful message and commitment. I'm waivering on a limb.
ReplyDeleteYeah I'm not one for new years resolutions either but I do commit to something every year. I make it my year of ... One year it was the year of food where I really looked into what we were eating. I cut out a lot of processed food that have bad additives etc. The following year I made it the year of exercise. I committed myself to starting a good exercise program. That was 5 years ago and I'm still doing it. Another year was my year of art and I'm still doing that too. Next year will be my year of art exploration and I've already started that. So its not really resolutions but something I concentrate on. Agh perhaps I should have a year of good housekeeping. Nah, that's never going to happen hehehe.
ReplyDeleteGreat example of land art with a cup of soul thrown in. "Trust" is very personally relevant to me as well, I may use it as my word too. It goes along with feeling safe. It's only in the last year or so that my walls are coming down. To not allow oneself to shine is to keep gifts hidden.
ReplyDeleteNy dad in his wilder manic moods used to tell me "I don't trust anyone in the outside world, just myself". I picked that up as my mantra as well and did NOT share myself with anyone.And shriveled away for many years.
I love that you have set an intention with nature. I feel its power across the miles.
I think the birds are smiling. Your word affects us all! TRUST your path, Elena!
Well I think I've stopped the impossible list of unattenable things and put out there the things that mean the most and I think we all go through this process of I'll stick to my diet this year (crap) and we wise up and see life in a new perspective... we make those good intentions from the heart and when that happens results are endless. I'm going to be doing my own reflections of this year and what to good orderly direction I need to move into for next years but you inspiration is catchy lady... like I said before you are a good leader.. the more you take the risk and follow you heart the more you lead with action and we all want to jump on the train with you. peace
ReplyDeleteI like this idea very much. I have begun a journey toward artistic freedom, so I think I will adopt that as my theme for 2010. After the new year, I plan on starting to blog again regularly as I explore this idea. I, too, really like that you used sticks in the snow. Wonderful.
ReplyDelete