Usually when I go back to my childhood home I can't help but be thankful for how far I've come and what I have. Really really thankful. And I look at the little ones and hope they'll get out too; that they'll grow up well.
My mom was telling me about her friend Ana's son today. The little 5 yr old who has started calling my mom Abuelita (grandma) ever since she sent over some tea that healed a stomach ache. My mom found some old Christmas ornaments in the garage and gave them to Ana (shhh, they belonged to my sister but she doesn't know they're gone). Ana said her son was so thrilled that he couldn't go to bed until all the ornaments were up on the tree.
While decorating, her son asked Ana if he might be able to get some of the toys shown on tv. She said they had to choose between paying the rent or buying toys. He thought about it for a moment and said that she should talk to the landlord about this. According to the tv kids come first so if that's the case the landlord would surely let Ana buy the toys first and pay the rent later. Ana said the landlord probably wouldn't agree and would put them out. She said it was too cold for them to be on the streets right now. Her son agreed and thought a moment. He said it was ok and would ask his live-in uncle how his pockets' situation was at the moment. His uncle, who recently lost his job, responded that his pockets were in sad shape and that the recession might affect Santa Claus as well. He said they should probably expect alot of hugs and kisses for Christmas instead of gifts. The little boy thought a moment and said ok but it sure would be hard to play with kisses.
My heart broke. Wasn't it last week I was comparing my meager gifts to others' shopping carts? But there's a little boy who is willing to accept kisses because that's all they have. My dear hubby has provided me with funds to buy this little guy something. I've also found a few toys my son never opened. I hope to put a box together with some slightly used clothes and things for the others; a teen girl, the mom and uncle. Everyone should have something to open for Christmas. No?
Playing it forward my dear, playing it forward is what's its all about how ever you chose it's all good orderly direction isn't it... Thanks for sharing the story... through the stories and experiences do we learn. Bless you for caring...
ReplyDelete~v~Laura
Everyone should, but not everyone will. The little gem of a child is but one of hundreds of thousands with outstretched hands.
ReplyDelete