"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, December 4, 2009

Road Lessons: Mothra



Gather round little ones, I have a story to tell (yeah, yeah, another one)
One great thing about motorcycling is that there are lessons on the road
They come in many forms
This lesson came from......Mothra.

It was my first road trip.
The HOT summer of 2005.
We rode down to Southern Illinois where I discovered that if it's hot enough
 oil does bubble up on the road.
Riding through the cornfields I was amazed at the size of the butterflies? moths?
(Ok, ok so I'm a city kid & still don't know what's what)
Hubby was riding in front when I saw him duck his head
I saw Mothra swoop over his head as it rode the wind current
It looked relieved that it didn't get hit
I found it hilarious and started laughing
Until...
I realized Mothra and I were in direct collision course
Mothra saw it too.
In slow motion I saw it trying to change course
I was too new, I didn't know what to do
6" away I saw his face
YES, I DID
He tried to put on the brakes
His eyes were huge
And then...
A soft crunch, like stepping on autumn leaves
And everything was a soft brown
Like looking through tissue paper
His body landed directly on my nose
His wings spanned the full length of my glasses
(Now you may think I'm twisting a yarn here but I SWEAR I am not)
So here I am, new rider, on two wheels
Riding with Mothra goggles
I quickly scooped him off with one hand
I heard the soft crunching again
I told him I was sorry
My heart was pounding
Then I smiled, wow, I could ride with my eyes closed.
At the next rest stop I got off the bike and walked towards hubby.
He looked at me with wide eyes and started laughing
Mothra left a perfect yellow imprint of his body
From the bridge between my eyes to the tip of my nose
Little bits of his wings were stuck to the sides of my glasses and forehead
Hubby said
"You forgot to duck"

~~~~~~~~~

So what's the lesson?
On your journey you're going to encounter roadblocks
Don't let it keep you from continuing down the road
Learn when to swerve and when to duck
And if you get hit
 shake it off
 and keep on with your journey

Thanks Mothra.
Sorry I forgot to duck.

3 comments:

  1. okay, that was pretty funny...and kind of gross....and heartwarming all rolled into one big crunchy moth and a lesson....

    I'm still learning to duck and to swerve....and getting so much better at it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elena,
    You are such a good writer. I felt I was sitting on your shoulder watching as that Mothra crashed into you. And then the lesson you learned. I think everything in life we are presented with is a lesson.
    Motorcycles, I've heard of bugs getting in the teeth but you've taken it to a whole new level!
    Mothra, you may be too young, but Mothra, Gozilla, all those Japanese horror flicks when the creatures are oversized and fight with each. That came to my mind when you said Mothra, made me laugh. Keep learning, my dear, keep learning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!